Happy 2012…you’ve now had a month and a half to adjust, make and break resolutions and recover socially, emotionally and physically from the holidays. Welcome back to (somewhat) normal life.
I, for one, fell off the grid in late November in a flurry of year ending activity and mayhem. I then took myself off line, ignored phone calls and buried myself in books, wine and food. I didn’t even write. I forced fed my brain – page after page of beautiful, heartbreaking, soul-bending stories.* It took several days, several books and several bottles of wine (consumed responsibly of course) before my mind quieted. The whirring between my ears stopped. I felt still.
Stillness is important. An emptied mind is a blank page ready to be inked. Find a way to empty and begin again.
*A partial list of holiday reading:
- The Silence of Trees by Valya Dudycz Lupescu (highly recommended)
- The Tiger’s Wife by Tea Obrecht
- Knowing your Value by Mika Brzezinski
- Catch 22 by Joseph Heller (finally! I’ve been picking this up and putting it down for years…it’s a particular book for a particular time. When the time comes it’s worth every page.)
- Brave New World by Aldous Huxley